Sometimes making a title up for a blog post is the hardest bit, don’t you think? And not from a seo standpoint. Or in a wow, that’ll get them in way. But in a how the heck do I describe all the stuff I wrote with just one short, snappy sentence. How the heck is THAT even possible? I see some title and think, WOW, gooood one! I see others and think this has NOTHING to do with the post. Or that’s just plan crap. And that’s the just ones on my blog. I was doing a bit of reading online the other night and realised how structured titles had become in blog land. It’s all about key words from what I can tell. And a hook.
There appears to be three ground rules for titles;
- Be a bit shocking/direct. Make people want to react straight away.
- Make it short and snappy or long winded and sort of funny. Either works to grab attention.
- It sound mention what the heck is happening in the post. Or reference it.
Following the rules looks a little something like…
- How to toilet train your kids, better then she did.
- When you don’t know what to wear to not look like a hussy, wear this.
- Cakes you can make from scratch that are easier than packet mixes and taste AWESOME.
- You’re wrong and here’s why.
- Marrying young never works.
You know, stuff like that. It made me think there might be something seriously lacking in the word of titles on this blog. Sometimes This post for example, I messed around with the title for ages. Did I want it to be catchy and just a bit sarcastic? Or should it simply be a line about what it’s about? Would anyone even care actually given that it’s an entire post wondering about titles on blog posts?
So I just picked a name out of my brain and put it there.
Trusted my gut and went for it. No pressure right?
Adding a title to a post about exploring titles of blog posts, what makes good ones and what makes bad ones. What if it’s a bad one and then everything I thought about titles has been proven and unproven all at once! I’m starting to this this one should have been scheduled in random ramblings becuase it is ALL over the place. But such is the way things go when you are creating witty, click provoking, quality titles.
Or worse. Not doing that at all.
Chief Blogger at Suger Coat It; An Australian lifestyle blog for women who work for themselves. Melissa is a social media consultant & lover of stripes. Most weekends you’ll find her at the beach or home on the veranda kicking back. Around here, they call her Suger. Feel free to do the same.